Experts v.3.5 takes the concept of the expert non-player-character class briefly described in the Dungeon Master's Guide and gives it unprecedented depth and playability.
This 176-page book includes:
- More than 30 fully detailed Expert types, including the Alchemist, Blacksmith, Courtesan, Merchant, Miner, Navigator, Physician, Sage, Sailor, and Weaponmaker.
- The Specialist, a new basic character class that players can use to create versatile 'adventuring Experts' of any sort.
- The Guild Master, Militia Leader, and Spellcrafter prestige classes, the latter of which can allow Experts, Specialists, and other characters to gain specialized magical abilities that they can use to enhance their mundane abilities.
- More than 100 skills, including dozens of Crafts and Professions and detailed rules for creation of everything from weapons and armor to buildings and ships.
- The concept of Convergence Tasks, activities that can be accomplished as the result of having ranks in two or more skills (e.g., use of Craft (Blacksmithing) and Profession (Mining) to perform Smelting). These can allow characters to perform relatively specialized functions but does not inundate the game with obscure, rarely-used skills.
- A section of 20 new Feats.
- 22 new magic items.
- More than two dozen ready-to-use NPC Experts that can be used as-is or easily modified to suit any campaign or adventure.
- Flavor text from a number of literary sources that can help stimulate interest in the various sorts of Experts presented in this book, suggest how they might be used, or show them in a different light than usual.