The Basic Illusionist is a 34-page sourcebook for illusions and illusionists in Swords & Wizardry and other OSR-style games. Everything you need to play or GM an illusionist is included in one book.
The Basic Illusionist includes:
- the illusionist class;
- the montebank class variant;
- types of illusions and their effects;
- guidelines for running illusions for both players and GMs;
- 156 illusion spells of levels 1-9 in Swords & Wizardry format, including nearly every illusion spell from First and Second Edition and a selection of new OSR spells from more recent sources;
- conditions, or disadvantages, revised for the Swords & Wizardry ruleset;
- two illusion-related monsters, the psyche fungi and the piscidine, and the imago creature template for Swords & Wizardry and other OSR-style games.
From The Basic Illusionist FAQ:
Q - What is the most important thing to know about this book?
A - This book is not what it might seem. First and foremost, this is a book of choices. Great pains have been taken to not create new rules, restrictions, or requirements. Adding this book to your current OSR game should not make it more complex or cause your Referee to develop many more headaches or involuntary tics than usual.
The Basic Illusionist is an OGL product and 100% Open Game Content.