The Snake's Heart - A Lost Age Adventure for Mazes & Perils
The Snake’s Heart is an adventure designed for 4-6 Mazes & Perils characters of 1st or 2nd level, but it can easily be adjusted for use with any edition of your favorite fantasy role-playing game.
The World of the Snake's Heart is one of muscles, magic, and mad gods. This is a world where might makes right in all the worst ways. This is the Lost Age.
Your heroes are the adventurous souls of this day and find themselves traveling near the village of Elhann on the Great Plain -- home to shepherds, gardeners, horsemen, and a few aged warriors. As they get closer, they find the village attacked by a group of bandits. At the edge of the village, they see four aggressors guarding a cage filled with children and the others nearby seem intent on adding to their catch. But a few have spotted your party and are coming to investigate!
This adventure has a little bit of everything, from saving the village of Elhann to rescuing its kidnapped kids and everything in-between. This is not for the faint of heart, as the Cult of the Serpent Queen has foul intentions for those innocent souls!
It’s been a long time coming, but we’re excited to finally release the revised version of The Snake’s Heart for Mazes & Perils to the world. This is a greatly expanded version of the adventure we first released in 2015 for Swords & Wizardry.
- Old adventure: 4,000 words, 19 digest-sized pages (including cover)
- New adventure: 12,500 words, 34 full-sized pages (including front and back cover)
- Stats redone for Mazes & Perils
- Maps completely redone by Kris McDermott (Elhann village map) and George Fields (all of the tower maps)
- Art has gone from 3 pieces and a piece of clip art to 5 custom pieces from Del Teigeler, Peter Saga, and Mickey Fitzpatrick, new spot art, and a custom new layout and cover from layout artist Robert Denton
The new book has 25 pages of content, with details on:
- The Village of Elhann
- The Cult of the Serpent Queen
- The Serpent Queen herself
- Clerics of the Serpent
- And new magic items
We hope you enjoy the adventure!