The Genius Guide to Relics of the Godlings II
Mythology is full of heroes who carried one or two amazing items throughout their adventuring careers. Sometimes the acquisition of the item marked the hero as special from the beginning, or is the catalyst for the heroes early adventures. Often, special magic items are given to heroes by the gods (Perseus famously receives gifts ranging from Hades helm of invisibility to Hermes winged sandals), or other supernatural forces (many swords of Norse mythology, including Dainsleif, Hqfud, Ridill, and Tyrfing, are forged by the dwarves, who also make magic items for the Norse gods).
While such items are clearly the progenitors of the magic items found in modern fantasy RPGs, theres often a serious disconnect between how the two kinds of items work. Mythological items are often an important and defining feature of the heroes who carry them, and accompany those heroes throughout a large chunk of their adventures. To help provide an option to fill those roles, we released The Relics of the Godlings to present a new magic item type, the godling relic, and numerous rules for adding them to a campaign.
While that product added eight godling relics, each with powers at levels 1-20, it also included two templates a GM could use to create relic staves and relic weapons quickly and easily. While the book and the idea of godling relics were popular, the overwhelming demand we received was for more templates!
Thus was born Relics of the Godlings II, which presents both six more godling relics and five more templates, covering relic rings, shields, and light, medium, and heavy armors! Each template has some advice on what kinds of powers work well for specific kinds of relic items, and wherever possible weve made the templates as flexible and easy to use as possible.
The six godling relics included are:
- Draupnir: a magic gold ring, with runes of judgment and shrewdness etched into its outer surface.
- Drakkenhael: said to be the first set of dragonhide armor ever created.
- Kavacha: a suit of golden armor that was originally worn by a god, at the moment of his birth.
- Lokanaut: rings of power, also known as the Tricksters Gift, that make their wearers feel wise and powerful.
- Myrmix: the legendary armor of champions and charioteers, that according to legend, protects its wearer from all harm, as long as that warrior never refuses any battle.
- Svalinn: also known as the Shield that Stands before the Sun, this heavy metal shield is a powerful tool designed to allow battle-priests and holy (or unholy) warriors to stand up to the most powerful of magics.