PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
...itty bitty power pool
A trio of warlocks for the Pathfinder generation!
It can be rather unsettling to learn that our infinite universe is but one of many, a miniscule dot on the roadmap of creation. These universes follow vastly different laws of physics and are prone to annihilating each other if they should ever touch. Though these events do happen, they are quite rare thanks to a weightless and almost completely elastic extrauniversal fluid known as the ether.
There are some puny and insignificant organic creatures who find themselves attuned to this background noise of the multiverse, this infinite source of energy that surrounds them and suffuses the void beyond the edge of everything. Finding they have the ability to communicate with the extrauniversal fluid and to draw from its raw, shapeless energy to do as they will, these ethermancers tend to fall into two camps. Some believe that the universe chose them to carry its greatest gift and use it to protect this tiny speck of creation. Others feel it is a perfect excuse to lord it over everyone. Given humanoid nature, the latter tends to be far more common.
*Ultimate Ethermagic is part of Strange Magic, an upcoming hardcover book that will contain three newly-expanded magic systems: ethermagic, musical composition, and truename magic.*
Ultimate Ethermagic takes equal parts Douglas Adams and H. P. Lovecraft to produce an 'all day long' system of magic with a cosmic flavor. Spiritual successors to the warlock base class of the 3.5 days, the ethermagus, ethermancer, and etherslinger base classes seek to have improved playability by offering the ability to mix and match spell effects to make custom evocations on the fly. Whereas the warlock simply blasted, the ethermagician can ask, 'How hard?', and can even choose to be an interesting hybrid class rather than a pure-blooded caster.
Thanks to the advent of a rapidly-regenerating spell point pool, players must choose whether or not to spend more than they will regenerate next turn. Incredibly potent effects are indeed possible, but firing them off without a care in the world will reduce the player to single-target ranged touch attacks in a hurry!
- Three base classes, the full-caster ethermancer, the melee ethermagus, and the cosmic firearms etherslinger
- Eight archetypes, three of which, the healing etherfuser, the insane mad evangelist, and the stealthy void stalker, are complex enough to be new classes in their own right!
- Favored Class options for all common races, as well as most featured races
- Innovative spell point system allows for a spellcaster balanced like a martial class with the ability to 'burst' like a classic spellcaster
- Rules for detecting ethermagic, countering ethermagic, and qualifying for classic arcane spellcaster prestige classes as an ethermancer
- 225+ spells, or 'manifestations', in six schools, or 'etherhearts' spanning a 45-page spellbook
- lesser blast - low cost, moderate damage evocation
- greater blast - high cost, high damage evocation
- alteration - defensive spells for self only
- bestow - defensive and offensive spells for anyone but the caster
- genesis - permanent creation of objects from pure energy
- voidmeld - on-the-fly weapon enhancement
- Greater manifestations system allows an ethermagician to retard lateral growth in exchange for massive once-per-day effects, including one spell s
- modular that it takes up three full pages all on its own (and is supported by 3 of the book's 39 feats)!
- 39 feats
- Complete nested bookmarking, including all sidebars and tables