The Assassin: A Modular, Momentum Maneuvers Base Class
Interjection Games is proud to present its second base class built upon the "momentum" engine first described in the Endzeitgeist top 10 of 2015 nominee Master of Forms base class: the assassin! The best parts of momentum have been distilled down with their own little assassin twist, extra care has been taken to increase out-of-combat utility, and the very ability design of the class itself has been built to allow 18 distinct character archetypes without the need for actual archetypes!
What is "momentum"?
The momentum system is inspired by the ubiquitous combo point systems found wherever a rogue or rogue-like character gets plopped into an online game. Where combo point systems have only two categories of abilities, those that generate combo points and those that dump all combo points in one shot, momentum allows for more granularity in play by having abilities that dump one "combo point", abilities that dump two, abilities that dump three, and so on. Do you keep biding your time building your power, or do you launch into something scary-but-not-quite-terrifying because you're not at your maximum yet? Or do you just draw from the pool of emergency points you replenish each day?
This resource management minigame, as well as the little tricks momentum classes use to accelerate or break the momentum engine, makes every round of combat significantly more engaging than, "I full attack the ogre."
Fighters, for shame!
How does the assassin allow for 18 special snowflakes?
Upon taking 1st level in assassin, the player chooses two "hot", or combat-heavy, ability trees and two "cold", or out-of-combat-heavy, ability trees. With a few chances to dip outside of them, these ability trees represent a fairly hard lock on what that assassin will be able to do. The assassin's ability trees are:
- Acupressure - Touch attack tricks meant to be used in place of your last attack of the round (because touches are easy to land)
- Execution - Brutal tactics for the frontline fighter
- Initiation - Subtle tactics for the sniper and ambusher
- Magehunting - Steal magic, lock down mages, and hurl their own power back at them.
- Infiltration - Equal parts parkour, mind tricks, and good ol' breaking and entering
- Intuition - A sixth sense, a seventh, and maybe an eighth keep you safe.
- Poison - Brew custom poisons at no cost to yourself, then make somebody miserable.
- The assassin base class
- 105 techniques in seven categories (see above)
- 19 feats
- A modular design that doesn't need archetypes (good sales will mean more technique categories)
Momentum meets "ki" with some techniques drawing power from combat, some from a classic daily pool, and some that can take from both sources; versatility!