Advanced Arcana Volume VII
Spells Within Spells!
Vancian spellcasting (the method of casting spells of certain levels from limited numbers of spell slots) has been around since the beginning of the game, and it has a long and storied history. Many attempts have been made to replace it with other systems, but there is a certain charm to Vancian magic that keeps bringing the game back to it, over and over again.
But that doesn’t mean that Vancian spellcasting couldn’t use a fresh coat of paint, and maybe to learn a trick or two. This book pushes the boundaries of what magic can do in the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game. A collection of over 100 brand new, never-before-seen spells, it features several new mechanics that explore the value and utility of a spell slot, including:
- Bonded spells, which can be prepared in the same slot as another spell, allowing the caster to use either one.
- Composite spells, which can be cast normally, or by expending multiple lower-level spell slots.
- Divisible spells, which can have their effect divided up across multiple castings, allowing the caster to use just as much magical energy as the situation calls for.
- Fountain spells, a fan favorite from past installments of Advanced Arcana, which allow you to regain a lost spell slot upon casting the spell.
- Ritual spells, which blend the occult rituals of Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Occult Adventures with more traditional magic.
Beyond these, there are numerous spells of a more traditional nature, as well as several appendices containing new and exotic familiars, feats and magic items that interact with the new mechanics in the book, and even a section introducing the idea of miscast spells, versions of spells that have gone partially awry, but not enough so that they have no effect at all.
If you’ve already experienced one of the previous installments of Advanced Arcana, you know that this book is not to be missed. And if you haven’t, now is the perfect time to expand your magical horizons. Pick up your copy of Advanced Arcana Volume VII, and change the way that you think about magic today.